Speak Life 101: Self-Love
Posted on August 08 2016
When you love yourself, it is an act of defiance in a world that profits off the promotion of insecurities, doubt, imperfections, marginalization, and making you feel less than the amazing creature that God created. It is so important to love yourself. But how can you tangibly do that? As we very well know, it is not always an easy thing to do.
Self Love in Action:
- The first thing that I do is to focus on what God says about me. He says that I am wonderfully made which means that He thinks that I’m wonderful; that I am His handiwork created in Christ to do good works; that I am created in His image. If I’m created in His image then I must be dope. He also says that He loves me because He is love.
- The second thing that I do is to make sure that I take care of myself spiritually, mentally, and physically. It is super important for me to talk to God every day; praying, meditating, or reading my word. I also workout. As a person that loves to eat, I have to love to workout as well. Working out also helps me with my mental wellness by giving me a way to de-stress. It is absolutely awesome. When I am under stress I like to invest in things that help me, which include massages, taking a yoga class, or just talking with someone that can give sound advice.
- I dress up sometimes and I make sure that I feel good. When I feel down sometimes, it can be difficult for me to want to pull myself together. This is the time that I double down and put forth the extra effort to comb my hair and put on some decent clothes to perk myself up. Believe me, when you look good, you feel good.
- I also try to do something nice for myself at least once a week. Trust me, in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, you have to take time to do for yourself. It can be something as simple as curling up with a good book, or taking yourself to get ice cream. I have a friend that gets her hair done every week. I can’t do that, but that is her way of expressing love for herself and taking care of herself.
- I also nurture my talents and hobbies. If you enjoy playing basketball, make time in your schedule for a pick-up game. If you love traveling like I do, make investments into your travel fund. (I don’t shop much, but I will spend money on an airline ticket.)
- Take the time to get to know yourself, what you like to do, what you don’t like to do and who you are as an individual.
- Surround yourself with people that love you and have your best interest at heart. There is nothing worse than to be around people who really don’t rock with you. They may pretend, but for various reasons, (envy, jealously, mean-spirited) they are always trying to bring you down or bring drama into your life. Love them from a distance.
- Last and certainly not least, I ‘Speak Life’ over myself! I say positive things aloud about myself as a way of self-motivation. It helps to remind me that I am awesome. For example, when people ask me how I’m doing, I always respond with “fantastic” or “awesome”. The reason why I do this is to make sure that I’m “speaking those things that be not as though they were”. And sure enough, it comes to pass.
Always remember that no matter what people say, what the media promotes, or how many likes you get on social media, that you are loved, that you are awesome, that you are beautiful/handsome, and that nothing or no one can take that away from you, but you.